Monday, September 9, 2013

Socialized Medicine - Israeli Vs American Health Care

Brief disclaimer: I am is never an expert in proper care, either in America or Israel. But with citizenship to suffer from both countries, several measures in living in both areas, and a child born per each country, I'm at least able to share my experience and opinion at the same time whole health care debate occurring in America right use.

I must say, I'm ripped.

Here's my story, with a large amount of commentary:

Growing up in the united states I absolutely despised doctors and nurses. I felt they wasted mass amounts of my time, and were rather immoral and/or dishonest. I did horror stories from childhood of doctors promising me a procedure won't hurt, after which you can the most excruciating predicament imaginable.

My strongest memory upon doctors was waiting 45 minutes with a waiting room, followed by the nurse checking me, waiting one way half hour, and a doctor coming, grabbing me in an assortment of weird ways, and telling me I've got a cough. I'm sure there's no limit on how much you can charge for tons of a serious amounts of and such a perfect diagnosis.

And of course I remember years of asking the doctor why I was associated with severe chest pains. The right answers I received were useless and varied, so much so I eventually gave up looking to ask. I remember is answer I received has been "growing pains".

So, doctors would be a miniscule part of published youth (and frankly Now i'm still very reluctant).

When you hear my experiences it's not hard to assume that I am extreme fan of health care, and can't wait until all of the different bills finally pass.

However...

Later on I moved to Israel, home of socialized health care.

My impressions:

It's very nice and also comforting to know that you will be taken care of properly any prior conditions, indiscriminately, with a rather high quality... often.

Nevertheless, the story must be told, and facts remain facts.

When I approached an elementary Israeli doctor about merge chest pains (which I still had over ten grow older later), he sent me on an endoscopy based on any theory.

The day at the hospital arrived, and I HAVE GOT wasn't even slightly hopeless. Why? Friends from America defined about their endoscopies. They were euthanized, and woke up to joyfully take into account their results, as if the procedure never happened.

So what happened with me? I transferred and had a ink container shoved down my airway. I felt every stand up drop. I actually gagged for ten units straight.

And then they led me to another room... and I fell asleep in a chair.

I had sore throat for a week.

My close friend, who was in medical school currently, looked over my report. Her mouth dropped when she saw how much they messed up on which of anesthesia they provided me with (it was clearly effortlessly timed, as well).

But there may be I do? What outlets are available for concerns once medicine 's all socialized?

My wife had an experience with a socialized proper care which, to make long periods of time story short, culminated held in a dentist yanking an incorrectly cemented cap out of her mouth with collapsed anesthesia, nor warning.

In either of these instances appraisal have filed malpractice lawsuits in the united states, and we would still be collecting money to this day.

But not under the socialized Israeli health care system. There was no body to complain to. Nowhere to decrease. If you were disappointed along with care, you could always move back up in your country of file.

(By the way, that doctor's theory started to be correct, and under his care I seemed to be to have far fewer symptoms in the local newly diagnosed acid regurgitate. )

So which system is better?

In Israel (and I assume it's this way with most countries with socialized medicine) insurance firms little control over immediately after and with whom the reasoning treated. If you are dissatisfied along with treatment, you have nowhere to turn. The system is likely inexpensive and inclusive, but then again Israeli taxes are sky high. Does that make the healthcare cheap or pricey?

On the flip facet, things here aren't the situation hot.

To have infant costs a fortune (whether or not your insurance chooses to cover it). Emergency rooms and listed below are far less efficient than those in Israel (practice can make perfect). We recently brought my son towards ER worried that possibly he broke his nose. My wife waited for four hours able to ER with a five year old. It turned out the player was fine... and despite our insurance it cost us nearly one thousand dollars!

We've also encountered difficulties with pre-existing conditions, as well as companies dictating if we could be covered in with childbirth.

I know many people satisfied on both sides of your Atlantic... and plenty which you'll find dissatisfied. I know people who use the Israel mix for small things, however for anything serious they go to America, since it is well known for superior care. In America it charges a small fortune to conceive, in Israel not only would it be free, but they will give you a modest check if you care leave the hospital.

So hence what do we enjoy?

Two very imperfect medicine models.

Americans have every right in the world to be frustrated with the state of healthcare in the US today. But they should think long and hard about what direction the continent should be taking settled its problems. We have no room for mistakes. Better yet, we should learn using their people's. After all, one wrong turn if you do disastrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment